Saturday, January 24, 2009

Cake Decorating 101

So I like to play with icing. Really its fun, I love to make crazy big cakes for my kids for their birthdays. I used to work at "The Peppermint Place" and made "candy climbers," little frosting figures on the sides of suckers and candy sticks. It was way fun. Also when I was at USU I took a culinary class and we covered a very small portion of decorating.....using what I have learned I have made a few fun cakes for my kids over the last couple of years. But I always say that I should actually take a cake decorating class and learn how the pros do it. Lucky for me I have a friend who thinks of great ideas----but here's the crazy part---she actually follows through on them! She wanted to take a class, I said I wanted to as well and voila---we've been taking a cake decorating class! It has been way fun too...I was going to photo document our journey to becoming world class cake decorators but I've left my camera home every week...until last week I snapped a few shots of our cakes...mostly I felt like a nerd pulling out my camera in class(even though our instructor said it was a good way to see our progress, no one else brought their cameras) but alas here are our cakes from last week...I will be bringing my camera again this week and please...prepare to be impressed. We rock.
Blank Slate - Why is it so hard to frost a cake?
Learning how to make people, clowns, and other creatures,
The little green elephant Lauree made was a class example,
he was cute, until he face planted on her cake... :)

This week we perfected the shell border, as well as learned to make these cool flowers...We also worked on roses...way harder than it looks!
Here's a shot of our end results...stay tuned for next week

4 comments:

Anne-Marie said...

That is so fun! I've always wanted to take a cake decorating class!! Stuff is always more complicated than it seems though....not sure I can do it!

adrienne said...

Your cake looks so good! I've always wanted to learn cake decorating, too.

Holly said...

I LOVE your cakes!!

The Barth Family said...

oh how fun! Now you really can become a professional caterer!! And I will hire you, but that means you have to come here!