Sunday, July 27, 2008

Did I mention we had BUTTERFLIES??

For Christmas Ashlee gave my kids a butterfly garden...when it was finally warm enough we sent away for caterpillars and had a week or two of butterfly fun. It really was so much fun for the kids, and interesting too. Our butterflies arrived on a Tuesday, but Sunday they had all turned into Chrysalis, and a week or so later we had our first butterfly, a day or two after that we had five butterflies...we said good bye and released them on July 23rd. Brenten and Lexie had lots of fun learning and watching there "bik-i-ful fluller-flies"



The caterpillars arrived, and the kids were happy to watch them...they made
their own little caterpillars, and colored a HUGE butterfly picture. Brenten kept
a butterfly journal so he could keep track of their changes.


Before long we had five chrysilads and we moved them to their butterfly habitat.

This is one butterfly just out of its cacoon, I saw it coming out, it was pretty cool. When they are first out their wings are all rolled up tight, before long they dry out and stretch out to look like a normal butterfly. One thing we found surprising was how messy they were. Apparently when the caterpillar turns into a butterfly in the cacoon...the moisture left over kinda drips from their wings....their whole habitat was covered in little red splotches...it looked kindof like red koolaid all over the place!

Time to let the butterflies go...



"Butterfly Butterfly happy all day.... Butterfly Butterflies fly fly aways!"

7 comments:

Morrells said...

That is so awesome! What a cool learning expierience for your kids!

Steffy said...

Cute pictures. You guys are always doing something fun. Your kids are getting so big. I need to come for a visit.

Anne-Marie said...

that is awesome! what a great gift!

mel said...

That is really neat. Something to add to the list for my girls next year. Lexie looks so cute. Did you get that shirt at Target. Avery has one too!

Shauna said...

I hope you don't mind, I am keeping up with your family on the blog. Your children are darling. Thanks for my gifts. The only thing I miss from Edwards is your cute husband, he reminds me a lot of my brother. Keep creating and loving those kids, and remind your husband that he loves you.

Belinda Olsen said...

I seriously think that this is the coolest gift to give kids....I'm going to have to remember this. I'm glad you survived your Ogden experience. I'll catch you at work next week.

The Barth Family said...

You always do such fun things with your kids! You are such a good mom! And Lexie looks adorable in those pictures!